Friday, January 27, 2012

Follower Spotlight!




Wow, ya'll. I don't even know what to say! Jennifer from THE Ellison Lane Quilts is doing a Follower Spotlight on me over at her place today. Really, anyone who might read my little ol' blog I'm sure already knows her - unless you are a) related to me, or b) a personal non-sewing friend who reads this blog. We "met" and chatted for months before meeting for real in Utah at Sewing Summit .  

 I'm here to tell you she is just as warm-hearted and funny in person as she appears on her blog. She is super talented with a sewing machine, a genius with fabric selection, and masterful at spreading good cheer throughout the internet. Her blog posts in my inbox are a welcome treat and something I look forward to every day! I was stunned and humbled when she asked if I wanted to do the spotlight. I mean, really, I've only been blogging for a few months and barely know how to do anything beyond the basics. But, I love to sew and create, and sharing it with a community has been amazing. Thanks again, Jennifer, like those before me have said, I feel so honored!  

So, moving on to what's been on the sewing table! This was just the push I needed to finish the quilting on this quilt. This is called Racing Stripes and is part of my Kona Solids Challenge. Originally, it was the back of another Solids quilt (which is still just a top...so hoping I get inspired to return to it...I'll show you that another day). But I liked how this turned out, and following Week's and Bill's suggestion, I turned this into it's own quilt. I love how it turned out!
I used Kona Coal for the background, and the stripes are made out of Glacier, Sage, Wine, Butterscotch, and Terragon.  It turned out pretty big too, about 65"x75".  The quilting is just straight lines...can you believe this is my first all straight line quilt?  I think my total quilt count is in the 50s , so that should let you know how much I like free motion quilting!  I love the look of straight lines, but normally, I find the actual quilting part tedious - I just start itching to move that quilt around!  But this one went pretty quick - about 2 hours - since I only quilted in the background and left the colors alone.  Here is the back:




Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you all have a great and productive weekend! Happy Sewing!

9 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see a familiar face on the follower spotlight. How cool! You're awesome, Valerie. And your new finished quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the interview earlier today! I love what you are doing. It is wonderful to see so many young people drawn to quilting. Are you in the Triangle area? I am in eastern NC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, it was absolutely my pleasure to spotlight you. Thank you for your super kind words about me- *blushing here*!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping over from Jennifer`s to say hi...I LOVE that racing stripes quilt. It is stunning, as is the rainbow spotlight. I like what I`ve seen so I`m following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie, nice post over on Jennifer's blog and on yours. I'm so glad I was able to meet you at the summit. Hope to see you there in October again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked your quilts, you have a lot of creativity and knowledge of the use of color. I became your fan to see your blog when I have time. Congratulations on the blog post Ellison ...
    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read the highlights!! How crazy that you have your LCSW?? I am currently working on mine. I never knew you had been a social worker. How cool is that? Now I know why you are so cool (wink)... well that and your creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I realized I never responded to the question on how I have the mini quilt in my room hanging that you made me. At the Sewing Summit - I took Amanda's class about Mini quilts. One of the girls in there had sewn these tiny little plastic rings on the back corners of her quilts. I picked up mine from JoAnn in the home decor section. If you would like to see a photo of the rings - let me know. I would be glad to snap one real quick for you. Let me know if you decide to do it and like how it hangs on the rings! If you decided to get in on the We Bee Modern bee but didn't get in - I started one with her help for some of us who didn't make the cut. Info is on my blog if you wanted to join in but didn't get to!

    ReplyDelete